- Genre: Action Roguelite
- Spoiler Free Review: Not much to spoil.
- Time Played: 13 Hours?
- Too Short/Long: It would have been fine if I didn't have to play more than I needed.
- Did I cry: No.
- Soundtrack: It's fine but very much in the background and hardly noticeable.
- Why I played: I think I got this around the same time I got Ocean Keeper, and I think they are both in the same tree of games of inspiration. Dome Keeper inspiring this and maybe this inspiring Ocean Keeper. There is a spider mech, I like those.
- Jank: It's very janky. Not so much until you start getting speed upgrades and I guess the game just can't keep up with you? So you get stuck in a position where you can't do anything because the world won't load. It happens in a smaller degree with just a little bit of fast paced traveling, where you need to hover around a mine entrance and eventually you can enter it - if you just go as fast as you can through several biomes - consider your run forfeit. Unfortunately I didn't realize this was going to be a persistent issue.
- Difficulty: It's a little difficult at first, making it feel like you never have enough time, and really it never gets much better but like most rouge-lites, the upgrades that carry over from run to run in addition to figuring out how to better optimize your time make it easier and easier.
- Something I liked: I liked the core gameplay loop, which is probably why I was willing to return despite my frustrations with the game essentially crashing 2/3rds of the way through an hour run several times.
- Pleased/Disappointed: It's fine. I enjoyed it. I'm just a bit bitter because I feel like I wasted a few more hours than I needed to.
- Recommend to others: I would if it didn't have that one big glaring flaw. You're on a time limit with this game so you need to try to be as efficient with it as possible, but if you are too efficient the game becomes unplayable, so it's gonna be a no.
Wall World looks cool and had some really fun design choices. The gameplay loop of going into mines and coming out to fight off monsters between a couple phases of the boss coming out is pretty fun. I kept feeling like it could be just a little more generous with the time, but I guess the point of it is - you aren't necessarily supposed to do everything each run, just what you can. Had I known, I could have tried exploring the world a bit different and cut some time down outside of the crashing issues, but I was being hard headed and determined I could do everything faster and could do everything in a run.
It was wholly unnecessary though, because as it turns out, the end is just a little bit anti-climactic and I wasn't going to really need much once I met the requirements to end the game.
It was wholly unnecessary though, because as it turns out, the end is just a little bit anti-climactic and I wasn't going to really need much once I met the requirements to end the game.
I will say I did only find like 3 of it's dozen weapons useful at all and a lot of the upgrades just aren't that great. All passive upgrades are great, but a lot of the active use items you get through each run just aren't worth it - in my opinion. There could be some issues with balance there, or just my style of playing, but I felt a little limited and didn't even use most stuff most the game because you're on a time crunch, and I was trying to utilize it as optimally as possible.

No comments:
Post a Comment