Saturday, December 31, 2022

Game Completion List 2020

 First post is a copy of a Facebook post from January 6th 2021, it is as follows:

In an effort to hold myself more accountable for actually finishing games I acquire, I tried to jot down each time I beat a game this past year. Sometimes I forgot, but I think I eventually covered everything I actually "beat" this past year. That said, I've still picked up tons of games that I only got so far in. Ordered by completion date(I think). I generally won't beat a game I don't enjoy so if I were to rate them they're all at least average or above average. Figured it would be fun to share.


Fairune, Fairune 2, Fairune Origin - Fun little rpg-style games where you walk around and "fight" things by just running into them and have to figure out where you need to go to advance.

Evoland - Parody game that is 100% just references to other games. "For gamers only".

River City Girls - Fun beat'em up. Played co-op with Alice. Really enjoyed the style/music. 

Aggelos - Fun game that draws most inspiration from Monster World/Wonder Boy but just a little janky and less polished.

FF7 Remake - It finally happened and it was amazing. Only Midgar, but a full game in it's own.

Kunai - Platforming Actiony game about tv face robots with some existential stuff.

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - The most metroidvania metroidvania. It's literally a Castlevania game in all but name. Does a lot to mimic exact things elements from previous Castlevanias and there ain't nothin wrong with that.

Animal Crossing - I'm counting it, I got the credits screen. I played 70 hours. I "beat it" whatever that means. It lacks the extra things in previous games to keep me interested. Mini-games. Games to play with friends. It also has really annoying multiplayer. Despite all this it was still massively popular this year. It makes me wonder how much more popular it would have been if multiplayer was convenient and it had more stuff to do like previous games.

Deltarune Chapter 1 - If further chapters get made it has the potential to be better than Undertale. I feel like further chapters will never get made.

Task Force Kampas - Just a simple shmup. Played because a character looks like Agumon.

What the Golf - Not really a "golf game" per se. Just a game that using a hitting a golf ball mechanic to accomplish various wacky things, generally "make it to the end"... so a golf game.

Giral - Short adventure puzzle game about monster girl where you have to strategically walk to "fight" them while also losing HP each time you do.

Frog Fractions - Not what it advertises. For the better. I think it's free, it's only a couple hours. Worth putting that in.

Soul Searching - Top-down survival game. Trying to be deep, melancholy, and allegorical. Definitely worth the cost.(free)

Kawaii Death Desu - Filler action game where you just attack left/right in order stop waves of zombies.

Jet Lancer - Area free movement shmup. Awesome style/music. Intense high adrenaline action.

Evoland 2 - More fleshed out experience that stands on it's own but still mostly just trying to invoke nostalgia. 

Hades - Roguelike with fun quick action game play and a variety of fun weapons that greatly change experience. Except the sword which actually kinda sucks.

Firework - Platforming actiony game about robots with some existential stuff again. This time it plays more like Mega Man.

Genshin Impact(pt 1.) - Considering I completed 100% of launch content and played well over 100 hours I'd say it's beaten. Mobile/Games as a service points aside. Gameplay is a lot of fun with a lot of cool characters, fun and interesting challenges and puzzles. Combat is fun for both single and multiplayer, I really like effects of elements implemented in both combat and challenges/puzzles.

Old School Musical - Cute rhythm game with an actual story of going through other video game parody universes with music that invokes the feel of the series it parodies. As a rhythm game alone, not great. As a story, not great. As an experience, very enjoyable. Wish parody games were playable normally.

Super Arcade Racing - Top down racing with upgradable/customizable car with classic style/feel.

13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim - 1/2 PC Adventure Game/Visual Novel 1/2 Psuedo RTS. RTS sections very fun despite appearances and often require utilizing a decent variety of available skills. Story is also really good, if not entirely unique as hard as it tries to be.

Ghost of Tsushima - Inspired by Kurosawa films and does a really good job of that. Also good job of mixing up Stealth and Head-first action game play. Both were satisfying and rewarding.

Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom - Waaaay better than I expected. Put it off due to average gameplay in demo. Demo is first hour or so. It starts there and actively gets better every hour.

Devil May Cry 5 - More or less what I expected. Actually a little less. Rather than an evolution and a modern Devil May Cry game, it felt exactly like Devil May Cry did almost 20 years ago. Not entirely a bad thing, but it could have been so much more.

Ori and the Will of the Wisps - Action Platformer that tries to invoke emotional response and does not do nearly as well as the previous game. It's much longer than previous game and arguably has a lot more in terms of mechanics and cool things to do. The first Ori was one of my favorites for the "feelings" I felt when playing and this Ori failed to invoke those feelings.

Outer Wilds - A game that is purposefully obtuse and that's all I'm gonna say about that. Further notes are for my eyes only.

Glittermitten Grove/Frog Fractions 2 - A game within a game with games that are within the games. It's experimental and meta and waaaaaay more involved than the first. I like weird shit like this though.

GOTY - FF7 Remake for me of course. I loved the new gameplay personally. I loved the detail put into the environment and I loved both the new versions of music and the entirely new music. I loved the fleshed out characters. There was little to dislike about this. Even though it's more or less intentionally incomplete, it feels like the most complete Final Fantasy game in a long time. 

Honorable Mentions: 13 Sentinels, Ghost of Tsushima, Monster Boy. These all not only met expectations but exceeded them. Each were games I was kind of like, eh, I'll get to it when I get to it, no big deal but ended up thoroughly enjoying and if I had to pick only a few other games I had played this year it would be these.

Sub-Honorable Mention: Arknights. I can't really ever beat it because it's more of persistent mobile game and not even in a way like Genshin. But it came out in 2020 and best I can do is beat a chapter til the next comes out. I have spent more time with Arknights then anything else handsdown. Everyday I probably spend at least half an hour messing with stuff passively but due to a mostly constant stream of events and pretty challenging levels, most weeks I spend at least a few hours actually playing new levels or challenges. Even when I was super into other mobile games(Super Monster League, Girls Frontline) the amount of time I invested into them likely did not surpass my most played games of those years. It's a character-based gacha game that is more fair than most other gacha game I've played but it's base gameplay is Tower Defense that's actually pretty fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment