Saturday, December 31, 2022

Game Completion List 2021

 Another archive post. In the original thread, I posted some of my Nintendo Wrap Up images, so I'll add those to the end. This one is copied from January 1st 2022 and is as follows:

In a continuing effort to hold myself more accountable for completing my games, I made my goal 50 games this year.

I can't remember if I had made it a goal, or I just tried to beat as many games as I could last year, but that number was around 30. Twenty more games this year. Nearly a game a week on average, and when I look at last year’s games... well.. there were a good handful that were less than 2 hours or not much longer.

But I did it. Admittedly, it got tight in the end, and this past week I wrapped it up with 4 games I knew I could beat within a couple days. 

This year, I also wrote down some thoughts as I completed each game, instead of thinking of something to say about it as I wrote this. That said, in many cases my thoughts got more and more detailed as the year progressed. 

Instead of increasing the number this year, I’m taking a side step. Most of the games I finished this year are pretty recent with a few exceptions. This year, I wanna really focus on that backlog. My goal will be to beat at least 20 games released prior to 2015.

Now, here are the games in I finished, in order of completion:


-----Yakuza 2 Kiwami - Finally played Yakuza 2 after owning it for 15 years, turns out I needed to buy it again and it needed upgrades and I needed people I know to get into the franchise to kick start my adventure. Yakuza 2 is great. I wanted to start with this one since I was originally going to start with 2 back in the day.

-----Void Terrarium - A solid Roguelike that also lets you decorate a Terrarium for a cute girl. It was fun and mostly felt fast paced, for a true roguelike that is. It inspired me to get a little terrarium decor for the computer room.

-----Gris - Loved the art, but the game wasn't really a challenge of skill or thought, more of an experience to walk through. It had some interesting abilities and mechanics that would have been cool to see in a game that challenges you.

-----Carrion - Fun and gross. Plaything as The Thing is pretty fun and I would like to see more games do stuff like this. Of course, I'm a big fan of villain main characters. The way the game is structured though... despite being pretty short, feels too long.

-----Sayonara Wild Hearts - I believe it’s self-described as a concept album in game form. They succeeded. It has wonderful music, fun visuals, and Queen Latifa.

-----The Liar Princess and the Blind Prince - A really cute fairy tale-esque game. I would really like to see more games in this style. --- Turns out I am getting my wish as sometime after playing this they announced "The Cruel King and the Great Hero", due in march.

-----Cyber Shadow - I enjoyed the style and it was mostly fun to play but it's needlessly difficult and not in a fun way. It does a lot of cheap things, as if they wanted to extend the play time in the way an old NES game does when it ports an arcade game. The difference is, those old NES games take like an hour to beat once you get good enough. This game is at least several hours long. I played ~10 hours but I can definitely tell you I spent most of that time trying and trying again. I like games like When They Bleed, Celeste, VVVVVV and other games that require you to die a lot or git good, but this doesn't do it in a fun way.

-----Creature in the Well - Pinball mechanic based action game. It was a little repetitive due to the lack of variance in stage design, but at least it was a pretty unique game in itself.

-----Ys IX: Monstrum Nox - A lot of fanservice for those who played previous Ys games. Great characters and cool styles. I feel like the game could have put more effort into it's overall world and the quality of it's content. It felt like it was a pretty dated game, just with modern character models, but I guess that's kinda Falcom's MO here. I don't know if it's budget or they're just not used to making higher quality games. It could have definitely made more of an impact if it had higher production quality, but it was fun and I really enjoyed it. It did make me want to revisit other Ys games.

-----Spiritfarer - I definitely enjoyed the characters, art, and some of the music. I loved Buck the D&D Basilisk, he had figures of Guts, Caska, and Griffith in his room. I love the music that plays during the meteor shower mini game, it nearly makes me cry every time I hear it. Something about this game was missing though. I can't help but feel like it needed something more. The repetition of doing some of the tasks for progressing and slow speed of the ship is a little tedious.

-----Blasphemous - Pretty good and really difficult at first, but it eventually gets much easier. Final Bosses only took a couple tries each but early bosses took quite a few. I think the later portion of the game I may not have died outside of instant deaths and the damned Bloodstained add-on challenges. The game is a little unfair as the hitboxes don't exactly match up and it's ability to discern the type of move you are trying to use for precise platforming is a little weak(ie: using up attack vs forward attack) but it's a small price to pay for an otherwise solid game. Obviously it has a heavy medieval Christian themes based on guilt and suffering with some rather grotesque imagery, it's not for the weak stomached.

-----Monster Hunter Rise - I forgot to write my thoughts when/shortly after playing it, but I had a lot of fun with it. I just wish some of my friends were more into it. Maybe had it not come out before most people were vaccinated, people would have been more willing to get together to play. It was just a little annoying because I had a ton of friends who said they were going to get it and they did not, so my options for playing with others was pretty limited. That said, it's one of the most fun Monster Hunter games, and it definitely brings the AAA quality of life features in there. I had a lot of fun with World too, I just wish Rise would have learned a bit more into the style of the game to separate itself from world. Best case scenario for me, Rise would have looked like Monster Hunter Stories 2. MHS2 was gorgeous, while Rise kinda looked like Budget MH: World, even though it was a more fun game to play.

-----Guilty Gear Rev. 2 and -----Guilty Gear Strive - I feel like it's hard to say when you have beaten most fighting games. Some have distinct story modes, and for some, I would say going through that. Some don't and just have an arcade mode, and usually when you beat the arcade mode the credits roll, so do you count that as beaten? Do you have to beat it with every character? These games are even more confusing because their story mode, is literally just a story, a few hours of scenes that really is just more of a long move. I don't know why they decided not to just shove some battles in there, and not saying it's a bad decision. I really enjoyed it and the closest thing I'm gonna get to a Guilty Gear anime ala Guilty Gear X's amazing promo video. Anyway, for good measure I beat arcade mode with about half the characters and at least all the ones I care about in each game, so I'm calling them both "Beaten"

-----Metal Unit - I liked this a lot but it's definitely one of those games with a weird balance. A run can be completely over or under powered. The best parts of the game were those designed normally, so I wish it would have ditched the procedural generation and just have been a level-based or metroidvania-esque game, rather than a "roguelike".

-----Neo: The World Ends With You - This was pretty fun, a little more repetitive and less overall variety than the original. It has a lot of cool powers but combat mostly feels like button mashing until things work out. The game is so fanservicey, I wouldn't recommend it to a new audience, but I guess that's why they came out with the TWEWY anime. Still, I'd play the first one before digging into this one, but it's still a lot of... HEY REMEMBER THIS GUY?

-----The Witch and the 66 Mushrooms - A cute little pixel maker game. It has some good ideas, but it's a little stiff and pretty glitchy.

-----Witch Spring 3: Re:Fine - A really liked this game. You play as a witch who collects and battles with dolls. It was pretty poorly translated and had some other quality control issues. I don't like when games have misable content, and this is an rpg with a good bit of it. It has some other quirks, but in the end, the core battle systems were really good and the characters were really cute.

-----A Hat in Time - A cute platformer reminiscent of N64 era 3d platformers. It's nothing super special on it's own, but each area is unique, it has plenty of personality and a decent variety of diverse missions and a lot of collectable, everything you want from a classic 3d platformer.

-----Blue Fire - this game frustrated the hell out of me. Something about it's perspective took a long time to get used to. It's not a bad game but it has some quirks. One thing I didn't love, at least early on, is that every area is filled to the brim with bottomless pits. Early in the game I found myself constantly falling off the level. Later on you her plenty of maneuvers to circumvent this, but many come way too late. Double jump should have been acquired within the first hour of the game and that would have solved 80% of my grievances. A lot of the additional maneuvers are also acquired near end game when they are all but useless except for the hardest shrines or collectibles. They should have been less stringy with the spirits too. Maybe placed some earlier, put more around stages instead of having you buy them. Purchasing most things seemed out of place for the style of the game too as there were just far too few things to make having stores worth it and they could have just been collected from side quests or out and about in the world. THAT SAID - apparently Blue Fire has received some major updates since I played it. Maybe they fixed things I've complained about.

-----Ender Lilies - I 100%'d this game, but woof. This game has some beautiful artwork. That's about it. The music is decent enough. It's trying really hard to capture the vibe of it's inspirations, explicitly alluding to Castlevania and even Metroid later on. If you were unsure if this was a "Metroidvania", it wears it on it's sleeve. It didn't use a more traditional map system, which made navigating a little more confusing, but the worst part if the enemies with their over inflated hit points. It takes forever to kill most things and most things are able to kill you pretty easily. ~10 hours in, the very first enemy you encounter still takes a full attack combo to kill. Come endgame, you can pretty safely travel the rest of the map, but that final area is hellishly difficult to navigate. I like hard games, but every fight in this game just feels like a battle of attrition and I don't have the will to endure that. I still liked it overall, but it doesn't go on any list of games I would recommend.

-----Vigil: The Longest Night - I really enjoyed this one. It reminds me a lot of Salt and Sanctuary. Both are Souls-like Metroidvanias, which I know is annoyingly jargony, but it's true. There are really only a small handful of @D action platformers I would say are truly Souls-like, and this is one of them. It's more than just a stamina meter for attacks and rolling, but atmosphere and style as well. The art and animation was a little rough at first, but I got over it pretty quickly. All the weapons feel good and different, and traversing is generally fun. It could have used a little more to the end-game traversal mechanics, or maybe some of the existing bonus items could have been permanent power ups rather than equipable items. I'd recommend Salt and Sanctuary first, but if you liked that and want something similar enough, go for Vigil. I do wish the lore was fleshed out a bit more, I thought it was pretty cool over all, but they just gloss over so many things without really getting into it and I would have liked to have seen so much more than vague allusions.

-----Hollow Night - Oh boy, whew. Maybe I should just keep my mouth shut. Haha, no. Ugh, so, when it was fresh and new, it looked like just another Metroidvania, so I put it aside and waited for a sale. Not too long after it's release though it's popularity start to grow and people started telling me to play it. When I got to it, I played ~2 hours before putting it down. It put me to sleep, the controls were weird and loose, and the with the clean lines and high contrast of colors, it kinda felt like a Flash game to me. I put it aside for years. Popularity soared, again and again I told people I didn't care for it, people who sung nothing but the game's praise. My completion screen said 44 hours, 23 minutes, 104% completion. I don't know what the actual max completion is but I assume it's higher than 100% due to the DLC. 

I just don't get why this game is so beloved, especially among people who don't usually like 2D action platformers, especially... MeTrOiDvAnIaS. This lacks so many aspects of what makes a good one, or what makes them fun. Maybe I shouldn't say it lacks it, but rather, fails to properly execute it? I don't feel like a beast come end game, so maybe it's holding back on that a bit, trying to make it more about your skill improvement, which I could accept, if the charms you have set at any given point didn't make a WORLD of difference. I found myself using almost an entirely different build for each end game boss which made the game feel reliant on these charms that are in many cases made out to be optional.

There are things I feel Hollow Knight does right. It has personality, and I think that is a lot of the appeal. It also does a decent job at mixing things up, between enemy variety and various challenges the game provides. My favorite part of the game was actually inside the king's dream.

I don't hate the game, if I hated it , I wouldn't have beaten it. I just found the game extremely frustrating the entire time I played it and sure you could say it comes down to the fact I need to git gud, but I play more of this genre than any other and barely, if ever, find games remotely as frustrating as I did Hollow Knight.

-----Metroid Dread - I thought it was great. I don't agree with some of the complaints I've seen about this game. For example, it uses too many buttons? Yes, it uses most of the controller's buttons, but so do many games, so what? I don't get that one but I saw the complaint a lot. I think because we just haven't had many Metroid games in recent years. Anyway, for me I would say the most lackluster thing was the music. While it occasionally queued the classics, most of the game was just background instrumental. This was a little disappointing because many Metroid games have excellent music. This one was uncharacteristically difficult and I saw a lot of people put the game down for that. I'm not saying it's right, but I think the developers drew from the fact that so many similar games in recent years flaunt their difficulty, but I don't think this game was so difficult it was frustrating, but maybe too much for some people expecting a "nice Nintendo game". Overall though, Dread was super fun. Especially compared to the last game I beat. The ending had me excited the whole way through and it was great to see the Chozo so prominent in the story. Some of the stuff and the end really has my hopes up for another new Metroid game really soon.

-----Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin - Probably the game I played the most this year at ~100 hours. It could have been a bit less if I was more focused and didn't mess around so much. It was a great time and a pretty charming game. I'm honestly surprised more people I know didn't pick it up. It's the best I've ever seen out of a rock/paper/scissors combat system. It's also one of the better monster collecting games I've played in a long time. It's very different than Pokemon, but I found the most recent games lacking and MHS2 filled that void for me. The storytelling was fun overall, and I certainly would have been happy if they said kinship and monstie less(they're still monsters... just call them monsters). It's not that deep though, the power of friendship(with monsters) saves the day yet again. 

I wished Monster Hunter Rise had used the style of this game. I found it much more fun to see my character in different armor and customize it, even though there were far less customization options. I do wish more monsters were available in the main story though. Being a Monster Hunter game, a lot of stuff is reserved for "post game", but it doesn't seem like there is much post game story and it's and RPG, so... why would I both with post game? I just wish those monsters were in the main game, that's all. 

Also the quick finish is a good way to balance grinding and keeping new battles challenging or unique. Many rpgs, especially turned based, have the unfortunate side effect of offering almost no challenge if you grind too much. Monsters generally take a lot to kill and could still kill you even if you are overed leveled in this. But if you out-leveled the monsters by so much and you have beaten it before, you can instantly finish battles as if you fought it.

-----Steel Assault - So short it feels more like a proof of concept than a full game. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate shorter games, but we're talking... uhh and hour or so? If this was just a few peoples way of showing off their cool art and music, that works, because, hey, the art and music is super cool and totally up my alley. It's jsut a shame it's over so quick. One thing I didn't love is the areas with infinite spawning enemies. I never liked that mechanic. the game has a cool central mechanic that I felt was overall underutilized, but it could just be because of how short the game is. I would have loved to have seen more platforming challenges or unique uses with it in the environment or against enemies. Something like pulling shields off to expose attackable areas or breaking off walls to reveal hidden areas or shortcuts, stuff like that.

-----Dandara - I really enjoy it even though it didn't really click with me the first time I played it. Maybe it was just because I wanted to play something different at the time? If you hear "Dandara is a metroidvania" and then go into it expecting that, it's going to be jarring. It's not the only game I've seen use these kind of controls, but usually they're much smaller puzzle platforming games. Dandara is definitely an action game and what it does have the... exploratory action platformer element, it's definitely it's own thing and if you are expecting the "feel" of a typical metroidvania, you might immediately be turned off, like I was. 

When I say with it for awhile, when I didn't have an expectation, or desire to play a specific type of game, I enjoyed it a whole lot more. There are some elements that could have been a little less frustrating, like some power ups or bonus hidden items that offered some quality-of-life aspects. Maybe teleporting could have not been the absolutely last power up? Maybe there could have been an item that helps you find hidden items? Maybe there could have been just like... 1 or 2 extra invincibility frames so that I don't get combo'd to hell every time I get attacked. Maybe since all of your movement is dictated with 1 button, the game didn't use the same button to open doors and leave to different areas, forcing you to go back an area dozens of times while traversing the world? But these are honestly minor complaints, the game was a lot of fun. Especially the bosses and challenges that are akin to bosses.

The final boss though? Ugh, I don't know how I would rate the difficulty of this game. It's challenging and sometimes even a little frustrating, but I spent nearly a third of my entire playtime on the final boss. This final boss is among the hardest I've ever faced. We're talking Sans-level difficulty. To be fair, it's not necessarily a single "boss" and kind of a gauntlet, but there is a single health bar that represents the boss that CRAWLS down with every attack. I feel like this final boss is just like, 4-5X as difficult as anything they throw at you prior to this point so I was not prepared for it at all and there is definitely a lack of balance or something in that regard. When I played Hollow Knight, I definitely found the final boss to be the toughest moment of the game, but that pales in comparison to Dandara's.

-----Deltarune Chapter 2 - Between each break, I keep forgetting how much I love these games. Sometime after I played Undertale, I kinda forgot how much I loved Undertale, and sometime after playing the first chapter of Deltarune, I kinda forgot about it, so I wasn't in a hurry to play Chapter 2 when it released. But when playing, I immediately fell for the game again. While I find the immediate story a little less interesting and would like to see more of the grander story, what I really appreciated was the game having a bit more diversity in game play, and honestly, I would like to see even more. Just "acting" and "healing" almost every battle gets a little dull. they do force you to mix it up a few times, though I believe some of the mix-ups are optional, I would like to see more of that.

-----Touhou Luna Nights - Completely by the books Metroidvania. It was fun to play, but there isn't much else to say about it. It had a fun base mechanic that they played with enough to keep it interesting throughout the game so there wasn't a big need for tons of different power ups and stuff like that, but I still would have liked to have seen more.

-----Chasm - I was on and off this one for a couple years. I really enjoyed it at first but there came a point where I hit a pretty hard wall. It could have been due to the "seed" as the game has some randomization, but I dunno. I think the balance is a little weird, but it never felt like it was a procedurally generated map. I think the randomness is pretty low. It was fun though, even if it felt a little stale after hitting some tougher areas but not getting much more in the way of equipment to make it more interesting.

-----Voice of Cards - Enjoyed this one a lot and hope they make a sequel immediately. It's shorter for an RPG but just right for what it was. My only complaint is maybe the random encounters are a little too common but other than that no real complaints. A great game with a unique presentation.

-----Titanfall 2 - I played this back when it first came out, played about half way through the campaign, was distracted by multiplayer and then distracted by everything else. I picked it back up from the beginning. It's a pretty wild ride and does some pretty cool and unexpected stuff for the kind of game it is.

-----Ys Origin - Finally, after starting this game half a dozen times, I finally finished it. I enjoyed the gameplay a lot but something kept me from completing it several times. This time I did it though! It's pretty much what you expect of a Ys title. Except for Adol. No Adol. Which you may expect. Some of the game is a little archaic and obtuse, but something I liked is most bosses couldn't just be brute forced, which kept it fun and interesting. It still could have used a little more variety overall though.

-----Nevaeh - Fine for what it is, but not that great honestly. It has some cute little puzzles and decent variety but it was pretty janky. I just played it because it had cute art that was something akin to some NIS games I like.

-----Pikuniku - A cute weird little game that I swear is the result of Shonte and Reynaldo making a game together.

-----Touhou Spell Bubble - Got it mostly for multiplayer purposes but it has a story to unlock all the characters. It's basically Puzzle Bobble with rhythm sections. That said, it has some really good art and music. Also a lot of the options for characters and spell cards that make it feel like your choice really matters. Usually in VS puzzle games your character only affects game slightly, so I appreciate that.

-----Sakura Wars - This was pretty good. It was one of those games that could have benefited from better pacing. Just too long between battles and then sometimes the battles are too long. It kinda reminds me of Astral Chain in that regard. I enjoyed it a lot and think it's a really good game, it just could have been a GREAT game with better pacing and maybe some more mini-games to round it out. Also, considering every main character was a competent combatant without mechs, I think some in-person fights to mix it up would have been really cool. Hatsuho was my waifu of choice because she was the most R.C. option and there wasn't really an Alice character to romance.

-----Yakuza 3 - Finishing it makes me wanna play the next one. But playing it made me want to give up on Yakuza. Kiwami 2 was so good it ruined 3 for me. There are so many gripes I had with 3 that I'm not even going to bother. That said, the story, characters, and world building I appreciate and will likely start 4 sometime soon. But I need a breather on this one.

-----Minoria - Most would describe tis as a souls-like metroidvania. I would describe it as neither. Sure at it's core it has a couple borrowed mechanics from both, it just doesn't feel like either. There is very little backtracking or exploration. It's really just a large interconnected map with a couple dead ends. It's mostly linear and sure you could definitely back track but as long as you don't miss some of the very hard to miss collectibles there is little reason to. You only get a double jump and air dash to increase exploration but the map automatically brings you back around to where you need to go once you get them.

I'm not complaining, I'm just describe the game. What I will complain about, and it's something that annoys me in any game, is the fact that you have to beat the bosses perfectly in order to get better items. This is the kind of difficulty that exists in something like Mega Man Zero. Punishing those who do poorly only to make the game harder and harder. The "digging yourself deeper" difficulty loop that can only be avoided by retrying a ton or ability to play at speed runner level skill.

That said, I did go for those perfects and the first 2 bosses were frustratingly difficult, but had I not gotten the items they offered up, the rest of the game would have been way tougher. Whenever I unequipped them, I could easily see that.

-----Oninaki - This game was much longer than I was expecting going in. I loved the gameplay, story and characters though. It could have probably been a bit shorter and thus less repetitive but I would definitely recommend this game.

-----Unsighted - a pixel top down action game, not unlike CrossCode, but maybe more like Hyper Light Drifter. If you like either of those games you should definitely play these. Even though the other two are probably a little bit better at what they do, this still has enough to be it's own thing.

-----Code Vein - Alice and I played co-op through this. We took a nearly 2 year break on this one because we were playing it just before we moved and then never set up the 2 PS4's with the two tv's in the same room again, until now. I enjoyed it a lot. It's definitely Anime Souls. The co-op could have been implemented to function a bit better/easier. The fact that your partner has to constantly leave the game and come back is kinda annoying. Progression only matter for the host so in a sense we both played through the game twice. It's definitely more forgiving that most Souls games, but at the same time, it can be more chaotic. There a ton of powers and endless possibilities for your characters build/loadout. Character customization is just shy of amazing. You can do so much with the hair/face/accessories and while you can customize many aspects of them, there are only 7 outfits.

-----Astalon: Tears of the Earth - Great retroesque game. It does so many things that I feel are kind of unique to NES era games, in the right way. I don't think this is an example of a game that actually could be on the NES though, but it definitely captures the feel in a way I haven't seen done as well since Shovel Knight. This is another one that people may instinctively call a d Metroidvania and even a Roguelike, but I really feel like it's not at all. While it does have an interconnected map, that might be the only metroidvania aspect. It otherwise doesn't really have that feel. And sure, when you die you can upgrade stuff, but you don't lose and progress and there is no procedural generation so there is basically no roguelike elements. It's really it's own thing.

-----Ultra Age - This game wants to be Nier Automata so much that I'm surprised the little robot that follows you around doesn't shoot little bullets. From the feel of the combat, to the forced perspectives, to actual environments and set pieces that mimic Automata. This game isn't the big deal that Automata is though. It's a little indie game mostly made by two people. It's much more straight forward and linear than Nier, which makes it somehow feel reminiscent of a PS2 action game. The main character voice acting is bad. Very bad, but I almost feel like it's intentional because even when I switched to Japanese, the voice came off really weird. Every other character's voice overs are perfectly fine though. But also, sound design as a whole just might not have been this team's strong suit. There are a lot of times effect come in flat or muddled with everything else going on.

I get the vision though. If this was a bigger production with more people on board, I would have wanted better sound design, a long game, more customization and more use of the sweet grappling mechanic, maybe for some platforming sequences or challenges, maybe certain enemies who require you to grapple them to get around various attacks or shields and stuff like that. They had a stinger at the end that suggest they wanna do a sequel and I hope this does well enough that they realy that. I don't think it will happen though because when I look the game up online I get basically nothing.

-----Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth - You can tell it's made by the same people as Touhou Luna Nights. There is just so much that is similar about the style and level design. Also the "setting" of both games is basically the same. That's okay though, despite that they made two action platforming games that both have fairly unique mechanics. This one uses a polarity mechanic not unlike Ikaruga. I've seen it used in similar games, Outlander comes to mind first, but this game is far less obvious about it. It doesn't have the screen constantly filled with bullets and tons of patterns to remember. It just do happens that enemies and environments use "wind" and "fire" pretty often and if you are set to one you can't damage nor take same from the same. I appreciate the fresh mechanics and the game was probably JUST long enough for it to not get stale. Though it would have been fun to introduce more elements and maybe additional mechanics, it was good for what it was. Also getting Lodoss War stuff in 2021 is pretty cool.

-----Blazing Chrome - A pretty good contra imitation. It has a directional aim button that holds you in place, but I wish it also had a strafing button that locks you aim in place while you move. That's my main complaint. Otherwise, I appreciated the variety and nods to other franchises.

-----Biolab - Not quite fair to compare to blazing chrome as they are kinda doing different things, but it's your basic run and fun game more in an NES style and decent for what it is. I just wish it didn't have timed levels. Not that they are that long, but sometimes I just wanna mess around.

-----Abzu - Just little journey through the ocean. It didn't quite capture my like Flower or Journey. This could be just because I am not really usually about the nautical setting, but it was still nice and still something someone who liked those games should play. Just not over the others if you have to choose.

-----Murder at the Cat Show - Special shout out to this one made by Shonte, with art by my wife, Alice. I don't usually play these styles of games but it was a fun little murder mystery game that only takes a couple hours. The writing is entertaining without being too long winded or coming off as amateur. I know Shonte didn't want to seem like it was a self-insert, but Alice's art didn't help that when I looked at Detective, I just read all her lines in Shonte's voice. Especially with some of the banter and arguing. I could definitely picture myself arguing with Shonte on the spot. I loved how most of the "inner dialog" or narration, was actually spoken aloud and characters would call Detective out on it. My favorite line... well is a whole set of dialog, but it ends in "She claims to be investigating a murder, but I think she likes harassing old women". Everyone should check it out, you can find it here: https://shonte.itch.io/murder-at-the-cat-show

No comments:

Post a Comment